Book clubs offer an opportunity to build a small community that will explore the topics presented in books we have identified as timely and supportive of teaching and learning. These clubs will meet several times during the semester (please see dates below), at which time participants will engage in facilitated discussion focused on the reading. Books will be provided for book club participants.
Fall 2023 Book Club
The Hidden Curriculum: First generation students at legacy institutions
By Rachel Gable
Description: Participate in our fall semester book club to learn more about the Hidden Curriculum that first-generation students have to navigate when they are a student and ways faculty and other university employees can better support first generation students for success.
- Thursday, September 14, at 11:00 a.m.
- Thursday, September 28, at 11:00 a.m.
- Thursday, October 12, at 11:00 a.m.
- Thursday, October 26, at 11:00 a.m.
Learning Across Cultures: Locally and Globally (3rd ed.)
Description: Participate in our fall semester book club to learn more about global learning with a community of colleagues from across campus! This fall, the Global Education Office and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning will co-host a book club on Learning Across Cultures: Locally and Globally (3rd ed., edited by Barbara Kappler Mikk and Inge Ellen Steglitz) for faculty members interested in exploring and discussing global learning in higher education with their colleagues. The book club will meet four times during the semester (see book club meeting schedule) leading up to International Education Week and books will be provided for registered book club participants. *Book club registration is capped at 15 participants.
- Thursday, October 19, 1:00-2:00 p.m. - Chapter 1: Terminology and Intersections & Chapter 2: International Student Identity and the Digital Environment
- Thursday, October 26, 1:00-2:00 p.m. - Chapter 3: Social Psychology in Intercultural Contexts & Chapter 4: Neuroscience Behind Intercultural Learning
- Thursday, November 2, 1:00-2:00 p.m. - Chapter 5: Design and Pedagogy for Transformative Intercultural Learning & Chapter 6: Intercultural Facilitation
- Thursday, November 9, 1:00-2:00 p.m. - Chapter 7: Mindful Reflection in Intercultural Learning & Chapter 8: Learning Outcomes and Assessment