Experiential Learning Certificate Program
The Experiential Learning Certificate Program is an opportunity for faculty to do a deeper dive into experiential learning theory and pedagogy as well as gain additional knowledge and skills around best practices for experiential learning.
- Gain an awareness of the theory and pedagogy around experiential learning, the different types of experiential learning, and how it fosters student learning
- Consider the implications of student readiness on experiential learning and develop a skill set to be able to design opportunities that are in alignment with a student’s development
- Develop an understanding of the importance of passion, purpose and career readiness in a students’ life
- Analyze the needs of the students in their own departments and develop a plan for experiential learning based on those needs
- Distinguish between teaching, leading, and mentoring experiential learning and assess their own strengths and skill sets for each role
- Develop a tentative action plan for increasing, enhancing, or creating experiential learning in their respective departments
- Gain ideas for how to assess experiential learning in their respective departments
- Acquire the preparation they need to become a pilot department in accordance with the career-bridge experiential learning initiative at Virginia Tech
- Familiarity with experiential learning and the QEP initiative that will be a part of Virginia Tech for the next 10 years
- Become a part of a community of scholars that can share in informed, collaborative, creative problem-solving to frame and facilitate strategies, expectations, and outcomes for experiential learning.
- Development of knowledge, skills, and assessment strategies related to experiential learning
- Develop confidence in creating and implementing experiential learning opportunities for students
- Participants must have an interest in gaining knowledge and skills associated with experiential learning and be open to learning and reflecting on those skills as well as the teaching and learning process associated with experiential learning.
- Participants will be asked to support fellow faculty in the program, recognizing that levels of knowledge around experiential learning may vary.
- Participants need to have a willingness to be a participant in experiential-focused activities throughout the program.
- Participants may be from any department, unit, or college at Virginia Tech
- Participants can miss no more than one program session during the Spring semester
The Experiential Learning Certificate Program will consist of one cohort. Meetings will be held on select dates. Information regarding the next cohort and the schedule will be posted in late August.
Applying for the Program
Applicants for the Experiential Learning Certificate must complete the online application process. Information regarding applications for the program will be posted in late August.